Sunday, 10 April 2011

a new hobby

I've been bored lately. Yesterday I spent the day laying on the couch catching up on TV shows whilst it was sunny outside. I didn't want to do anything, despite hating the fact that I was doing nothing.

On days when I have the house to myself, I don't know what to do. I find it hard to muster up the energy to actually get out of the house. The main culprit I believe is that I get far too comfortable laying about in my pjyamas and going outside means getting dressed and putting my make-up on. Then I just can't be bothered.

It's all my own doing, of course, but when Mr P got home after work he asked me what I'd done that day and I started crying. The tears came from nowhere and I couldn't stop. But when asked why I was crying my response was 'I'm just so bored'. He took me out to a nice little restaurant and it cheered me up a bit. It was a relief to finally be out somewhere and talking to someone, rather than muttering thoughts to myself.

He's working again today, but only for 3 hours. So we're going out to the beach and then grabbing some lunch to take my mind off this. This morning, however, I decided that I was going to get up, get dressed, and walk with him to work. It was nice. It's not even midday and I've already been outside, had some food, and started thinking about what I need to do to entertain myself.

And that's how I've come to decide that I shall start crafting. I've been browsing etsy shops for inspiration (and finding it hard to not just steal ideas). I like making things but I have no real talent to show off yet and feel that I need to make things in order to find my own style and so to start with I'm going to make magnets.

When I was at university I spent a lot of money on fridge magnets. Particularly shabby chic fridge magnets and I've always looked at them and thought "that's something I could do". They're small. I could make a couple in an evening and feel like I've accomplished something. The perfect little craft for me, I think. Yes. I shall start making magnets because living in Brighton means I can find all sorts of little things to play about with. And if makes me some money - great. If I break even - well that's fine because at least it will give me something to do.

I told Mr P of my idea this morning and he thinks I should go for it. So this afternoon when we pop out I'm going to hunt for pretty buttons. Maybe this will be the start of something positive. I sure hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment